Standing on Vicarage Road beside Vicarage Park, Poulton-le-Fylde Community Hall has served generations of local residents for more than a century. Although now operated as an independent community venue, the distinctive building began life as St Chad’s Church Hall and has connections with the parish church and the development of the surrounding area stretching back to the early twentieth century. The hall was conceived as a new meeting place for the parish and wider community during the 1920s. Research undertaken into the building’s history has established that it was built and funded through public subscription, with local people and businesses contributing towards its construction. Designed in the Arts and Crafts tradition, the new hall provided Poulton with a substantial venue capable of accommodating church activities, meetings, social gatherings and entertainment.
St Chad’s Church Hall officially opened on Armistice Day, 11 November 1925, with the opening performed by the Bishop of Manchester. Its position was particularly appropriate. The building stood close to the historic vicarage grounds associated with St Chad’s Church, land which would later become Vicarage Park, while the church itself stood only a short distance away at the northern end of Market Place. For almost ninety years the hall remained an important part of community life in Poulton. Although originally created as a church hall, its role extended well beyond religious activities, providing accommodation for local organisations, clubs, social events and other gatherings. Generations of Poulton residents consequently came to know the building through dances, meetings, children’s activities, performances and community events.
By the early twenty-first century, however, the condition of the building had become increasingly serious. Structural problems and the cost of the work required to make it safe eventually resulted in the hall closing on 31 October 2013. After almost nine decades of continuous community use, there was a genuine possibility that the ageing building could be lost. Rather than allow that to happen, local residents mounted a campaign to save it. A community organisation was formed in 2014 with the specific purpose of restoring the former St Chad’s Church Hall and returning it to public use. The organisation that became responsible for the building was formally registered as a charitable incorporated organisation on 19 August 2014. The project represented a significant undertaking, with around £300,000 initially required to restore the structure to a safe and usable condition.
The restoration involved far more than cosmetic improvements. Work included demolishing and rebuilding the rear gable wall, removing corrosion from structural steel columns, strengthening the tower with new internal steelwork, repairing the roof and windows, replacing damaged floorboards and joists, installing new toilets and removing the outdated heating and plumbing systems. The kitchen was also replastered and refitted. Much of the work was made possible through fundraising, grants, donations and the efforts of volunteers, local businesses and tradespeople. The rescued building became known as Vicarage Park Community Centre, reflecting both its new independent community role and its position beside Vicarage Park. After several years of fundraising and restoration, the doors reopened to the public in September 2018, five years after the closure. A formal reopening followed in November 2018, when the restored centre was officially reopened by the Lord-Lieutenant of Lancashire, Lord Shuttleworth.
The restoration allowed the building to resume much of the role it had performed since 1925. Exercise and wellbeing classes, dancing, table tennis, drama, language tuition and activities for parents and young children were among the regular uses, while numerous local societies and community organisations returned to the hall. It also became a venue for concerts, theatrical productions, craft fairs, markets and private celebrations and returned to use as a polling station during elections.
Another change came on 25 June 2022, when Vicarage Park Community Centre adopted the name Poulton-le-Fylde Community Hall. Although its identity had changed several times since 1925, the building itself continued the same fundamental purpose for which the original St Chad’s Church Hall had been created: providing a place where the people of Poulton could meet and take part in community life. The hall subsequently developed an increasingly important role in arts and culture. In 2024 it worked with Spot On Lancashire and Wyre Council to stage Poulton-le-Fylde’s first international arts festival, with performances taking place in the Community Hall, St Chad’s Church, the library, Market Place and other locations around the town. The programme brought music, opera, ballet, poetry and theatre into the centre of Poulton.
The work undertaken by the hall’s trustees and volunteers received national recognition when the organisation was awarded the King’s Award for Voluntary Service, the highest award given to local voluntary groups in the United Kingdom and regarded as the organisational equivalent of an MBE. The award recognised the voluntary effort that had transformed a deteriorating former church hall into a thriving community venue. Further improvements were made as the building approached its centenary. In 2024 the ageing roof was replaced with Rosemary clay tiles chosen to complement the heritage of the building, while 24 solar panels and battery storage were discreetly installed to reduce its energy requirements. New lighting was also introduced inside the hall, designed to replicate the appearance of its original 1925 globe pendant lights.
On 11 November 2025, Poulton-le-Fylde Community Hall reached the centenary of the opening of St Chad’s Church Hall. A century after being built through public subscription, the building remained in community use, an achievement that had appeared far from certain when structural problems forced its closure in 2013. Vicarage Rd, Poulton-le-Fylde FY6 7BEThe centenary also coincided with another period of development. Plans were prepared for extensions and internal alterations to provide additional meeting, storage, kitchen and bar facilities. Wyre Council subsequently approved additional funding of up to £95,000 for the second phase of the redevelopment, bringing the council’s total investment to £165,000, including £70,000 from the UK Shared Prosperity Fund.
The story of Poulton-le-Fylde Community Hall is therefore one of continuity as much as change. Built and paid for by the community in 1925, it served as St Chad’s Church Hall for almost ninety years before deterioration threatened its future. Its rescue by another generation of Poulton residents allowed the same building to begin a new life as Vicarage Park Community Centre and later Poulton-le-Fylde Community Hall. More than a century after its doors first opened, the hall remains a prominent feature of Vicarage Road and continues to fulfil much the same community purpose envisaged when local people raised the money to build it in 1925.
Images by © Deeper Blue Marketing & Design Ltd

