The opening of the Wesleyan Chapel on Tithebarn Street in 1819 marked an important chapter in the religious history of Poulton-le-Fylde. Built to serve the town’s growing Methodist congregation, the chapel reflected the rapid expansion of the Wesleyan movement during the early nineteenth century and provided an alternative place of worship alongside the ancient parish church of St Chad’s. Methodism had spread throughout Lancashire following the preaching of John Wesley and his followers during the eighteenth century. Their message of personal faith, regular preaching and practical Christianity attracted increasing numbers of worshippers, particularly among tradespeople, labourers and farming communities. As…
